2012 Takes my Blog to Fiberluscious

2012 Takes my Blog to Fiberluscious
Click on the logo to see my newest Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

A rose by any other name.... how to write a compelling descripton



Many of my posts have to do with my Etsy shop, because it has been such a wonderful learning experience for a handmade artist, like myself. Because Etsy recently changed it's search perimeters to be more Relevant, Buyer and Google friendly, now is as good as time as any to figure out how to describe your artwork so someone can't live without it.
Here is a description for a pincushion I sold. http://www.etsy.com/transaction/55113205. I'll use it as an example.

Honeycrisp Apple Pincushion
This is the next Honeycrisp Apple Pin Cushion in my apple series. This one is just as crisp and sweet as the first! My love of fabrics and my obsession with embroidery is evident in this wonderful fun and fruity sewing tool. Each time I create one of these apples I am transformed back into my grandma's kitchen where there was always something fun to do and good to eat.

Lovely hand painted, embroidered cotton, batik fabric, a leaf stuffed with emery, lots of luscious hand embroidery and a lovely natural twine stem from nature. The apple is generously stuffed with new polyester fiberfill. Three pins are included, two from my "Stick with Me" pin assortments.

This apple is much bigger than the last- 2 7/8"' high apple, with a 5" stem. 5 Inches across, 13 7/8" in diameter.

Limited edition. When this fabric is gone, this series will be discontinued. Each apple will be a one of a kind edition of this series. Please allow for variance in colors and design.

Ready for immediate delivery.
**************************************
Relevancy-
List in the first three words what your item is. Honeycrisp Apple Pincushion
Repeat the word pincushion if you can. This should lift your item higher in the search pages and make it more searchable on the main search engines.

Essential Embellishments- Give your item a warm fuzzy, bedazzled, delicious and/or attractive name. I can't keep these apples in stock. There are many apples competing with me. I think my apples are relate able. Honeycrisp is a yummy apple. It sounds sweet. I have a leopard print pincushion I call "Sexy". Its for the hot seamstress in all of us. Now who doesn't want to feel sexy and alluring? Get the idea?

When writing your item descriptions, let the buyer see into your world and get to know you. Buyers are drawn to artists who create items they like. They want to feel like you are their artist and you create items that seemed to be designed especially for them. Its great to find kindred spirits in this life. Let them know what inspired you to create your item. Maybe the fabric is special, maybe the print helped you to remember a special day or person.

For example, "My love of fabrics and my obsession with embroidery is evident in this wonderful fun and fruity sewing tool. Each time I create one of these apples I am transformed back into my grandma's kitchen where there was always something fun to do and good to eat."

Specifics & Facts- Don't forget to tell them all they need to know. How big is it? Get out your ruler and be accurate. What did you use to make it? Photos are important, but they need more. Help them feel like they were able to touch it, hold it and know how special it is. Is it soft, crisp, hard, squishy?.... When you describe it, use loaded adjectives.
Also, if it is one-of-a-kind, say so. If you can only make a few, its a limited edition. Be honest about this. If you are lucky, you will have repeat buyers. If they see you crank out 20 more of a limited edition, they will feel deceived. Trust is hard to build and precious when you earn it.

For example- "Lovely hand painted embroidered cotton, batik fabric leaf stuffed with emery, lots of luscious hand embroidery and a lovely natural twine stem from nature. The apple is generously stuffed with new polyester fiberfill. Three pins are included, two from my "Stick with Me" pin assortments.
2 7/8"' high, with a 5" stem. 5 Inches across, 13 7/8" in diameter.
Limited edition. When this fabric is gone, this series will be discontinued.
Ready for immediate delivery."

We create for many reasons. We sell for many others. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in figuring out what to make, we forget why we want to create at all. Its good for your muse to create from your heart. That kind of joy will always show in the final product. It is a joyful way to feed your soul.
I feel like the more I sell, the more stuff I can buy, and thus, I can them make more stuff. I like the money. I really do. But, I don't have one of those shops with 20 versions of the same pencil case. Some people enjoy that kind of sewing. They may have a thousand sales and that really does sound nice. I like to try to create something new each time I sit down to work. It takes longer to reinvent the wheel over and over. But, I have many repeat clients who I love to spoil. Its a good way to make a few dollars and feed my addiction to sew.

I just ran into a cool site with tons of help for the Etsy seller. http://vintagechalet.blogspot.com/p/free-help-for-etsy-seller.html. I also added her to my blog list. Interesting info.

Whatever reason you are out there, I wish you much success. If you would like to chat further about descriptions, please contact me. I'd love to hear from you.
jillverbick@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions!
Let me know what you are working on.
Request a stitchery product or kit.
Ask me about my Etsy shop.
Please note, all comments are moderated
so there may be a delay before yours is posted.